2016 november 30 – december 1
Geant4 Hands-On Introduction
In occasion of the AHEAD workshop on particle Background INAF, in collaboration with SWHARD, will organize a Geant4 hands-On introduction.
No registration fee is requested to attend this introductory course.
This introductory course will be held in Rome, at Institute for Space Astrophysics and Planetology,
in the Tor Vergata Research Area (CNR). Via del Fosso del Cavaliere 100, 00133 ROMA.
Geant4 is a toolkit for the simulation of the passage of particles through matter. Its areas of application include high energy, nuclear and accelerator physics, as well as studies in medical and space science.
In the recent years, space and astrophysics has become a significant user category, with applications ranging from instrument and detector response verification to space radiation shielding optimisation, component effects, support of scientific studies, and analysis of biological effects. The various domains include:
– Space electronics and Space Science detector systems
– Simulations of astronaut radiation hazards
– Planetary exploration applications
– Interfaces and tools to space environment analysis tools such as SPENVIS
– Cosmic ray magnetospheric propagation analyses
– Large-scale simulations requiring event biasing and GRID capabilities
– General shielding optimisation applications
The Hands-On Introduction will be held November, 30th afternoon and December, 1st morning.
Alfonso Mantero (SWHARD)
Paolo Dondero (SWHARD)
Simone Lotti (INAF/IAPS Roma)
Wed, Nov. 30th (14:30 – 18:30)
– G4 builduing blocks
– G4 simulations building blocks
– G4 UIs
– G4 extensions
– Compilation and 1st run of the 1st example
Thu, Dec. 1st (09:30 – 13:00)
– The command line interface
– Modifying geometry
– Modifying Physics
– Getting results
– Analysis Tools
A participation certificate will be released to all participants.
The maximum number of participants is set to 30. Participants must have a basic knowledge of C++. Participation will be accepted on a first-arrived first-served base. All the participants will use their own laptops. For this mini-school will be used a pre configured CentOS virtual Machine with the last Geant4 version configured and installed, that you have personally to download. Link: ftp://ftp.cenbg.in2p3.fr/info/Vmware/geant4.10.02.p02
Participants from both acadamic and industry worlds are well accepted.
PC minimum requirements:
– laptop PC running Windows or Linux with a virtualization software installed
– laptop Mac running Mac OS with a virtualization software installed
– at least 2 GB of RAM for the PC or Mac
– 15 GB of free disk space available
– a 1280 x 1024 screen resolution
– Advised virtualization software: Wmware
– For technical details and software donwload please visit:
For questions and requests, please write to: ahead_G4_school.email@example.com